One of the biggest hesitations we hear from homeowners interested in going solar is that they don’t want to damage their existing roof. The truth is that when done right, there is very little chance that damage will occur during the installation process.
If you’re wondering how to install solar panels on a roof and what the process entails, we’ve created a step-by-step breakdown to give you an idea of how your roof will be modified to accommodate your new system.
How to Install Solar Panels on the Roof
Homeowners who love do-it-yourself projects might be interested in installing the solar panels themselves. However, the process can be complicated unless they have the necessary knowledge and skills. Therefore, it is essential that you hire the services of professionals like Solar Optimum for a successful solar installation project.
Steps our crew will follow while installing your solar panel on the roof:
- Lay out the location of stanchions that will support your solar panel on the roof. We have to ensure the stanchions are level before drilling any holes and placed at least four feet apart.
- Fix the stanchions on the drilled holes and secure them with steel bolts
- Attach the rails on the stanchions with bolts, tighten them properly, and ensure they are parallel. The role of the rails is to carry the solar array panel.
- Install micro inverters under each solar panel. We must ensure we have the right wires and equipment. We will need to switch off any power supply before doing any wiring.
- Link all the connection plugs and mount your panels on the roof stanchions. Mount the panel by attaching the brackets to the solar panel, lift the panel to align with the rails, and then use bolts and clamps to secure it.
Solar panels are wired panel by panel and parallel to each other. Wires are also connected to the panels and run to power the inverters to create a conductor system.
Factors to Consider When Installing Solar Panel on the Roof
Solar panel installation is pretty straightforward. Still, there may be times when the process needs to be modified slightly, such as:
- If there are obstacles near your roof or where you intend to mount your solar panel, as they might prevent sunlight from reaching your panel.
- The method of installing your solar panel might also vary depending on your roof structure and the type of the roof.
Installing Solar Panels Safely
The solar panel installation process should not cause damage to your roof when done by a team of experienced professionals . But it’s always a good idea to find a company that provides warranty coverage just in case.
Solar Optimum is leading the industry in offering premium solar panels, battery storage, and all roofing solutions. We have installed over 200 MW energy-efficient solar systems and battery storage for homeowners and businesses. We also offer a 6-point 25-year warranty that covers any roofing damage that occurs as a direct result of our installation work. Contact us today for the best solar panel installation services.